The year 2022 has reached several milestones with machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI). Numerous tech organisations – big and small – have come up with high-performing applications and libraries to come to the aid of developers. Starting from self-assembling AI and large language models to intelligent chatbots, machine learning has taken the digital world by storm.
OpenAI’s ChatGPT happens to be one of the most popular language models released in 2022. With projected revenues of 1 billion USD by 2024, this intelligent open-source chatbot application has become one of the biggest success cases in the world of AI. However, despite its booming success and popularity, it is no stranger to limitations.
With several access restrictions and being gated behind APIs, it has fallen prey to several new competitors in the market. Many recent users of ChatGPT are complaining about getting an error message, “ChatGPT is at capacity right now,” implying that its servers are too busy to handle requests. This may occur when the chatbot servers are overloaded.
Developers are gradually becoming more and more inclined towards opting for other open-source applications and large language models to build their applications. In this article, we have listed the top five ChatGPT competitors in the market.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGpt, one of the revolutionary AI-powered applications, is a generative pre-trained transformer (GPT). It is a large language model chatbot that can formulate human-like conversations with the user.
Suggested Read: What is ChatGPT and Why is it Making the Headlines?
Who are ChatGPT’s competitors?
The up-and-coming competitors of ChatGPT’s are:
Meta AI’s OPT (Open Pretrained Transformer) is a worthy competitor of ChatGPT as it comes with several new features. Some of them include:
- Its Zero-Shot NLP evaluation has an accuracy akin to how ChatGPT works.
- With upgraded hate speech detection, it is all the more preferable than other solutions like Da Vinci.
- Another feature worth mentioning is its optimal energy efficiency. OPT’s estimated carbon footprint is 1/7th of ChatGPT, which has a carbon footprint of 3. This makes it viable to become an essentially active foundation model in larger systems.
- The complete open-source approach gives this model great potential. Here, they share their models, logs, training data, and more.
To fathom the true value and potential of the PaLM model, one needs to be acquainted with the Pathways ecosystem which is an integral part of Google Architecture. It is responsible for creating all large language models of Google. PaLM or Pathways Language Model has an innovative architecture and made the following three contributions to the LLM structure:
- Pathways models are trained to implement multiple data types including, picture, video and text unlike ChatGPT, which is only text-based.
- PaLM uses the Pathways model which is known to have a flexible architecture. It can use numerous forms of input for both single and multiple tasks.
- This is one of the best features that make PaLM a standout and a worthy competitor of ChatGPT. PaLM does not use the entire architecture for all kinds of inferences. Instead, it only makes use of a subset of neurons for singular tasks. This leaves many neurons free to use which makes up for better performance and performs more tasks while maintaining low running costs.
This is another large language model released by Meta. Sphere boasts amazing performance when it comes to search-related tasks and is equipped with the ability to browse through innumerable documents. Combined with other developments in NLP by Meta, it stands as one of the toughest competitors of ChatGPT. Some of the best features that make Sphere stand out are:
- Sphere is developed with the ability to go through a large volume of information. Therefore, it is the best AI alternative that can be chosen for the purpose of answering questions.
- It can readily verify citations and also suggest alternative citations that would be more appropriate for the content in question.
- Its open-source nature gives users the ability to change the pre-existing database that the model goes through, making it one of the most flexible models in the world of LLM.
Because of Sphere’s data parsing capabilities, it is almost comparable to the all-purpose searching ability of Google. It is deemed as the model with the most commercial viability amongst LLM models.
BLOOM and ChatGPT are almost similar to each other with the former being created for the sole purpose of disrupting the big tech monopoly on large models. Over the years, many robust tech companies have been researching with heavy computational powers. Since they could not be replicated by normal researchers and groups, BLOOM was created as a people model promoting free research.
With BLOOM, independent people could verify and counter big tech research. Therefore, it can fall under the list of the top ChatGPT competitors, especially for independent and small-scale researchers. Although not seemingly at par, it is a great open-source alternative for your needs.
LaMDA, short for Language Model for Dialogue Applications, is a group of conversational NLMs (Neural Language Models). Developed by Google, it is considered a breakthrough in the world of natural language processing. It has been extensively used for programme synthesis, zero-shot learning, and BIG-bench workshops. Some of the key points that make it a worthy competitor of ChatGPT are:
- It comes with 137 billion parameters.
- It was created by fine-tuning and perfecting a family of neural language models that were transformer-based. During its pre-training, it was built with a dataset of 1.5 trillion words; 40 times more than other models that were previously developed.
- Its discussion data and supervised-learning model enable it to provide more human-generated responses.
With more and more research being conducted by Open AI, ChatGPT is steadily fine-tuning its limitations and flaws. With 3 million current users, it has reached peak popularity and has become a house name despite numerous competitors cropping up in the market.
Created by talented developers with high proficiency in programming and coding, ChatGPT has indeed created a long-lasting ripple effect in the paradigm of AI. Having a professional certification in this field can give you the ability to create similar waves. A Live FullStack certification from Eduonix is your best shot at this. Join now to kickstart your career in this field.
Also Read: Adaptive AI is Aiding Entrepreneurs to provide Engrossing Experience
#ChatGPT #Upandcoming #Competitors